The Best Glutes Workout To Grow Your Flat Butt (GYM OR HOME!)

I’m going to show you a glutes workout with 6 of the best glute exercises to grow your butt. First we’ll go through some of the science behind how to grow the glutes to teach us the 2 muscles to focus on, then we’ll go through all of the butt exercises which you can do at home or at the gym. By the end of this video, you’ll know exactly how to build a bigger bum and your butt is going to be bootyfull.

To understand how to build a bigger bum, you first need to know glute anatomy. The glute max is the biggest glute muscle. Its primary function is hip extension. The glute medius is the second biggest glute muscle. This muscle keeps our hips balanced when we move. It also helps with hip abduction.

The deadlift, one of the best glutes exercises around, is going to be our primary heavy exercise for the glute max. First, use a hip-width foot stance with the toes slightly pointed outwards. Squeeze your glutes hard and push your knees out against your elbows. Brace your core, tuck your chin, push your feet through the floor while driving your hips forward to stand up. On the way down, reverse the motion. But only push your hips back as far as they can before your lower back starts to round. Once the bar is just past your knees, squat it down and then reset. If you’re using dumbbells, you’ll want to instead stop just past your knees before coming back up. Perform 3 sets of 6 heavy reps with 3-4 minutes of rest between each set.

Now we’ll move onto bodyweight walking lunges. First, slightly lean your upper body forward while keeping your head in line with your body, and maintain that position as you lunge. Next, instead of simply stepping “up” after each lunge, think about stepping “forward”. At the bottom position of each lunge, take your hands and apply some resistance to guide your front knee inwards. Then, push your knee back against your resisting hand as you stand up. Do 2 sets of 10 reps on each leg with about 2 minutes of rest between each set.

Next, we’re going to focus on the glute medius with a superset to grow the glutes. To perform the first exercise, put a cable setting down to its lowest and connect the strap around your ankle. Don’t have a cable? Set up a band wrapped around both legs or looped around a fixture instead. Grab a pole or any fixture for balance. Keep your torso upright, tuck your chin and brace your core. From here, sweep your heel back but also slightly out to the side at roughly a 30 degree angle. Do 12 reps on one side.

Immediately grab a pair of dumbbells, elevate your back leg, and get into a split stance position. Keep about 80% of your weight in your front leg and the other 20% in the back. Drop your back knee towards the ground. As you lower yourself, keep the shin of your front leg straight up over your foot. At the bottom position, use your front leg to push back up and repeat for a total of 12 reps. Once complete, do the other leg on both exercises to complete your first superset, and then repeat that 2 more times for a total of 3 supersets for each leg.

Another way to stimulate growth is with butt exercises that are most challenging at the top position when the glutes are fully contracted. The gym version is the 45 degree hip extension. First, set up the pad such that it’s just below your hips. Brace your core, tuck your chin, and then bend at your hips to pull yourself down. Squeeze your butt hard to pull yourself up.

The home version will require just a stack of books. Flatten your back against the floor, place one foot up on the stack of books with the other leg straight. From here, push up against the stack of books while raising the opposite leg to 90 degrees. Hold this top position for 1-2 seconds while squeezing the glute of your planted leg hard. Repeat this for 3 sets of 15 reps on each leg.

The Best Glutes Workout

Glute-Focused Deadlift: 3 sets of 6 reps
Glute-Focused Walking Lunges (bodyweight): 2 sets of 10 reps each leg
Superset: 3 sets of 12 reps each leg
Glute Med Kickbacks
45° Hip Extension OR Single Leg Elevated Glute Bridge: 3 sets of 15 reps

You can implement this glutes workout once a week or implement these exercises into your other workouts throughout the week if you’d prefer. Either way, I hope you were able to see the importance of carefully selecting your exercises as well as performing them in a way that maximizes growth for the target muscle.

Within our Built With Science programs, we apply that to each and every one of the workouts we provide. To join today, take the analysis quiz to discover which science-based program would be best for you and where your body is currently at below:

Subscribe to my channel here:

Music by:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *